The Qld Finch Society (QFS) has members worldwide who share their love of aviculture and participate in Society activities. The club boasts a membership of nearly 1000 local, interstate and international members, all with a passion for the delightful birds we call finches.
QFS was formed in September 1969 by a group of 19 enthusiasts and dedicated itself to the study of Australian and foreign birds, particularly finches. QFS is committed to aviculture and conservation and our society activities are conducted in the spirit of keeping members and the community well informed of the best practices of caring for finches. Non-members and guests are also encouraged to attend and learn what QFS is all about.
Society activities include:
- Finch News Magazine: All members who subscribe receive the monthly magazine “Finch News” – an industry benchmark for those interested in aviculture.
- Brisbane Meetings: Meetings are usually on the first Friday of every month (doors open 7pm) at Morningside School of Arts Hall, Cnr Wynnum & Thynne Roads, Morningside, Brisbane. Each meeting has a sales table for members and also a fully stocked stand by Australian Wildlife Supplies – providing for all your avian needs.
- Out of Brisbane Meetings: QFS also hold meetings in regional centres where local members and visitors are provided with the can enjoy a QFS meeting
- Conservation: QFS are dedicated to the conservation of birds particularly Finches, both in their native habitats and to ensure sustainable and revitalized captive bird populations.
- Other Events & Activities: During the year QFS members facilitate aviary visits, bird sales, auctions, bird shows, workshops, BBQs and other events to promote knowledge transfer and friendship.
QFS promotes the highest standards of keeping and breeding of birds through promotion of the hygienic keeping and scientific feeding and breeding of birds in the best and most natural conditions possible. As such the Society promotes and endorses the following: